This week has been a great week of
learning from the standpoint of credibility within Human Resource Management.
The key concept for this week is capability audits. The purpose of a capability
audit is to allow a company the opportunity to determine which capabilities
dare important and beneficial to the organizations strategy, stakeholders, and
context (Smallwood, N. 2004). The audit allows the company the opportunity to
see strategies that are successful, strategies that do not work for the
company, and analyze the steps of the company. This allows HR the ability to be
viewed as effective and can also increase success for the company.
When conducting an audit it must be
supported by all major parts of leadership to ensure it is conducted correctly.
The first step of the audit is to identify the critical areas within the
company that currently assist in meeting company goals. Next the company must
review the success or performance rate on the critical areas. This will show
gaps between current and potential revenue and goals. The results will provide
the company with the current positive and negative strategies that are
effecting the company. Using the data could help fix problems areas and
increase company values. The figure below is an example of what an audit that I
conducted for my department. I am currently employeed in the higher education field focusing in Academics..
The overall goal of this audit is not to point out errors within the company
but to identify areas of improvement for the future of the department and the
company. I only selected capabilities that applied to my department. The
results are listed below:
Talent: 5- We have a combined total of
more than 20 years of experience within the department.
Speed: 3- Room for improvement because we
do not all utilized the correct methods
Accountability: 5- We are held accountable
for all actions taken within the department
Collaboration: 1- We only work together
when we are forced to do so
Innovation: 5- We are looking for ways to
make the structure of the department better
Learning: 5- We have a weekly team meeting
to learn new methods
Management Tie In and Personal Review
This week’s lesson about capability audits was a very
eye opening experience for me. This week I was allowed to see the strategies
upper management utilize within the company to identify different strengths and
weaknesses. The audits are very informative and can help a company grow and
overcome potential and current issues. From a personal standpoint
my company or department should utilize this audit. Currently I am a team lead
for my department and help manage a team of ten employees. There are members on
the team that have been with the company for more than twenty years and possess
a ton of knowledge about the department and the company in general. We
currently have an issue within the department dealing with employees not
expressing their concerns and issues that are occurring. Upper management has
reached out several times however no one is willing to speak out due to job
security within the department. I think that this audit could be very
beneficial to our department. This audit could reveal the issues within the
department and help upper management create ways to solve issues. Management
could conduct quarterly and help boost staff morale and retention rates. It could
also help the department and company forecast the future to help prevent
issues. This audit is something that I am going to suggest to my supervisor to
help our department. I really enjoyed this week’s lesson.
References
Ulrich, D.,
& Smallwood, N. (2004). Capitalizing on Capabilities. Harvard Business
Review, 82(6), 119-127
HR From The Outside In – Six
Competencies for the Future of Human Resources”; Dave Ulrich, Jon Younger,
Wayne Brockbank, Mike Ulrich; McGraw Hill
Capability Audits SHRM Post and Replies: This week I did not receive any replies from my post. I did however locate other posts related to the topic and provided feedback. Example is listed below
Posted
2 days ago
REPLY Options
Dropdown
Hello,
I am researching
capability audits used with HR. Can anyone provide any feedback regarding this
topic. Does anyone think this is a good method to use within companies? Are
other methods better? Please explain.
------------------------------
Britney Taylor
Britney Taylor
Topic: Capability Audits
Posted
2 hours ago
REPLY
Options Dropdown
Capability audits within
a company are a very important factor. The purpose of the audit is to identify
strengths and weaknesses within a company. The audit must be supported by upper
management and all areas must be reviewed. The audits provide valuable
information to the company. The results from the audit reveal key areas that
are used on daily basis with a company. Leaders can review the data from the
audit and select which capabilities are important for the company. The data can
help companies select the correct goals and strategies for the future of the
company and also help HR align and create the correct strategies for the
employees. I personally feel that capability audits can work for a company but
this is just the beginning of the improvement process. Capability audits
provide a broad range of solution that can make it difficult for companies to
select which areas the company should target first. After companies complete
this audit they should probably complete another analysis that could narrow
down or eliminate unnecessary results.
------------------------------
Britney Taylor
------------------------------
Britney Taylor
------------------------------
Capability
Audit
By
Patricia Price
posted 02-24-2016 17:37
Options Dropdown
This week in my Strategic
Human Resources Management class, we were asked to perform a capability audit
this is presented in the book "HR From the Outside In" by Ulrich,
Younger, Brockbank, and Ulrich. I am currently working as a customer service
representative in a local bank, so I do not know how exactly how the corporate
office functions, so I conducted my audit on the branch that I work in. Some of
the questions were a little difficult to apply to the branch itself, but I did
see where some of our weaknesses and strengths are as a team within the branch
itself. I am unfamiliar with how to use such a tool and was wondering if there
is anyone that has ever performed one? What is the best way to go about
figuring out what kind of questions should be asked on the audit? What is the
best way to collect the data for the audit and also the best way to analyze it
once it is collected?
Ulrich, D., W., Younger,
J., Brockbank, & Ulrich, M. (2012). HR from the outside in:
Hello,
I am currently enrolled in a course and we are researching capability audits. I am currently working in Academics and I feel that this audit is necessary for our department. The core part that should be used within our department is accountability. I work within a department in which accountability is the key role in our department. We are accountable for all actions and what we do effects the department as a whole. This audit can reveal what methods are working and not working for the department. This can measure growth and ensure that we are using the correct methods within the department.
I am currently enrolled in a course and we are researching capability audits. I am currently working in Academics and I feel that this audit is necessary for our department. The core part that should be used within our department is accountability. I work within a department in which accountability is the key role in our department. We are accountable for all actions and what we do effects the department as a whole. This audit can reveal what methods are working and not working for the department. This can measure growth and ensure that we are using the correct methods within the department.
02-25-2016 21:43
Patricia. Just to comment
on your post of the Capability Audits, I too am reviewing the same part of the
HR spectrum in my HRM-501 Strategic Human Resources Management course. I'd like
to elaborate on the thirteen core components that navigate through the
capability audits. These components include: "talent, speed, a shared
mindset, learning, collaboration, innovation, accountability, leadership,
strategic unity, efficiency, customer connectivity, social responsibility, and
risk." These components are used to measure the growth strategies that
will assist a leader with how well a company performs these tasks. Depending
upon the outcomes, a leader can use this information to monitor core components
that are being mastered or strategize on components that need to be capitalized
on. (Ulrich, D. & Smallwood, N.)
References:
https://hbr.org/2004/06/capitalizing-on-capabilities
Ulrich, D., W., Younger, J., Brockbank, & Ulrich, M. (2012). HR from the Outside In: Six Competencies for the Future of Human Resources.
References:
https://hbr.org/2004/06/capitalizing-on-capabilities
Ulrich, D., W., Younger, J., Brockbank, & Ulrich, M. (2012). HR from the Outside In: Six Competencies for the Future of Human Resources.

No comments:
Post a Comment